If you have decided to follow Jesus and you are ready to take the next step and get baptized...we want to celebrate with you! We offer water baptism services throughout the year. Click here to let us know you are interested in being baptized, and we'll add you to the list for the next opportunity.
Baptism is one instruction that Jesus gave to his followers (Mark 16:16). The Bible shows us that when people decided to follow Jesus Christ in the New Testament, they were baptized as soon as possible after their decision. In Bible times, it was a way for new believers to show they were serious about their new faith. You could also say it’s an outward expression of an inward decision.
It's a good question. Make no mistake-water baptism does not “save” you...only God’s grace does through your personal faith in Jesus. But it does have a significant role at the beginning of the Christian life.
When you are baptized, it shows three important things about your Christian beginning:
- Obedience: “If Jesus said it, I’ll do it.” Jesus told His followers to be baptized after they had come into a saving relationship with Him. This was not “only a suggestion” but rather a command. Here at Bridgeview, we believe that baptism is an act of personal obedience that sets us on the right path for growth as followers of Christ (Matthew 28:19-20, Mark 16:16). Baptism shows that we are serious about developing our walk with Jesus, and following him fully.
- Identification: “I am a follower of Jesus Christ and a member of his body.” We identify with Jesus Christ and his people when we are baptized. When you are physically baptized, you outwardly express the inward reality that you have now died to your old life without Christ, have put it behind you, and are now “resurrected” to new life in Christ (Romans 6:3-4). You are identifying with Jesus Christ and making a public statement that along with his people, you are following Him.
- Declaration: “I want others to know.” Not only do we privately acknowledge our belief in Christ, but it’s important to go public with our faith expressing the fact that we have decided to become followers of Christ. This public declaration is a very meaningful experience for us as it is a time of community celebration and can be a public witness to others who have not yet decided to follow Christ (Acts 2:41-47). It is also a powerful time for witnessing changed lives.
- When should I be baptized? As soon as possible. If you have made the decision to follow Jesus Christ (Acts 8:36-39), water baptism is an important next step.
- How should I be baptized? Bridgeview Church baptizes people by “immersion” (for all intents and purposes, 'dunking' under water) based on the Bible’s description of baptisms. (Mark 1:5; Acts 8:36-39)
- What if I was baptized as a baby? Because baptism is a person’s own decision and is based on a person’s realization of their need for obedience to Christ and a new life in Him, the decision to be baptized can’t really be made by someone on your behalf like parents, etc. It’s something we decide we need to do personally based on our commitment to Christ. If you have not been baptized after your decision to follow Jesus, we suggest you consider it.
Of course, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us by clicking here.